Feb 9, 2010

[J.D.Salinger "The Catcher in the Rye"] ライ麦畑で捕まえて』

Salinger, the author of "The Catcher in the Rye" and "Nine Stories" died at the age 91 on January 27.

I was feeling close to Salinger's works when I was a college student. I was in my early twenties. Although I have a family now today and I cannot spare time to read as many books as I used to, I was such a big reader in those days. I read Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" again and again, until the book had good thumb prints. I was carrying that book no matter where I went. I think I was trying to do away with my stress I had.

Now let me write out my most favorite authors at that time: Haruki Murakami, Jun-nosuke Yoshiyuki, Kenji Nakagami, Yukio Mishima, Naoya Shiga, Jun-ichiro Tanizaki, Motojiro Kajii, Osamu Dazai, Ryunosuke Akutagawa, Soseki Natsume, and so on. I used to visit the nearest library so often to read all these great authors’ works, and I still remember it was such a great time for me. What a joy and blissful moment that was to stay there so long and read wonderful books. I let my imagination grow. It was a great luxury.

Back to the topic of Salinger, “The Catcher in the Rye” is still like my best friend. Bitter sweet one at that. For those of you who read that book would have thought that the narrator thinks and acts quite childishly. It is far from making you feel “elevated.” If you have a little kid, you would not let him/her read this book because there are bad words here and there, and that's what's happening in my house.

Is that a vulgar and bad book? – Not at all. It’s opposite. It’s friendly, painful and charming, and it’s even witty and ironical, too.

I was reading some of the reviews at amazon.co.jp and I found that there were some people that said they didn’t really understand it, or they couldn’t get absorbed into it, while other were so passionate to tell how great a book that was. It’s an interesting phenomenon because the opinion gets split into two extremes. The same reaction can be seen at reviews on Yukio Mishima’s “The Golden Pavilion (金閣寺).” Some people (including me) will be so shocked by the author’s great skills of depicting the twisted and obsessed inner self. They have something in common in that the both books are leading the reader to two extremes. Some really don’t feel anything about Mishima’s “The Golden Pavilion.”
I could imagine the author of “The Catcher in the Rye” must have tried to write about the inside himself (even his ugly or embarrassing part of his thoughts or feelings). If that’s so, then there is no wonder that there are two different groups of people – those who madly love it and those who don’t like that at all.

It is just like there are two different cultures. I am pretty sure that even if you explain about how great a book that is for hundreds of millions of times, those who don’t understand the book should not get what you were saying. I am not saying which side is good or bad. I’m talking about what is happening over a single book or anything of the sort.

Really, the Japanese translation by Mr. Takashi Nozaki is awesome. Even some other writers imitate the Japanese title “Rai mugi batake de tsukamaete.” I have seen similar book titles.

Mr. Nozaki’s translation is so amazing. I even think that the original work's spirit went into the translator's mind. I have heard about Yazawa Eikichi fans sometimes copy how he talks, but I think same thing will happen to those who madly love that book.

I’m not going to write about what the book is written about but I like that so much. I recommend that if you became interested in the book. You can be Halden Caulfield if you can’t stand phony stuffs in human community or society and if you think you are young and rebellious. Some girls might think you are “So cute!” and you might become popular among girls.


"The Catcher in the Rye"や"Nine Stories"等で知られる米国人作家J.D.Salingerが1月27日に亡くなりました。享年91歳。

私がサリンジャーの作品に最も親しかったのは大学生の頃で、当時二十代前半の学生でした。今では仕事や家のことに追われ、小説を読むことはめっきり少なくなったのですけれども、あの当時の私は小説ばかり読んでいて、サリンジャーの"The Catcher in the Rye"は私の最も繰り返して読んだ作品でした。本は手垢がつくほど読んでいたのを思い出します。作品を読むことでストレス発散も兼ねていたのでしょうか。

私が好んだ作家は、このサリンジャーの他では、村上春樹、吉行淳之介、中上健次、三島由紀夫、志賀直哉、谷崎純一郎、梶井基次郎、太宰治、芥川龍之介、夏目漱石などで、これらの作家の本を読みあさっておりました。

それにしてもThe Catcher in the Ryeは今でも身近に感じてしまう本です。読んだことのある人なら分かるとおり、そんなに高尚な語り口ではありません。小学生ぐらいのお子さんをお持ちの方でしたら、Bad wordがたくさんあるということで読ませないようにと考えることと思います。(我が家がまさにそうなのですが・・・。)

といって下品な本かというと、そんなことは決してないです。それどころか、親しみやすく、しかも切実で、皮肉やウィットにも富んだ魅力ある本だと思います。

この作品のレビューをアマゾン等を通じて見ると、「何が面白いのかまったく分からない」というグループと「自分の気持ちを代弁する素晴らしい作品」というグループに二分されている感じです。興味深いことと私は思います。これに似たような現象は三島由紀夫『金閣寺』においても見受けられます。賛否両論を起こしやすい作品内容といえるのかもしれません。作者にとっても自分の内面(嫌なものも含め)を暴露するに近い作品だったのではなかったかと私は想像しますし、そういった内容であれば、共感を得る人間は熱烈にそれを歓迎するし、そうでない人は白けるしかない、といった極端な結果を生じるのも頷(うなず)ける話です。

じつに、二つの異文化のグループが生じると言えます。作品に共感しないグループが共感しているグループにその理由等を尋ねても、なかなか理解は出来ないでしょう。作品に共感できるのが良いとか悪いという話ではまったくありません。そこに生じる現象のことを言っているわけです。そして、こういったことを考えるにつけ、興味深いと私は思います。

サリンジャー『ライ麦畑で捕まえて』。これは日本語のタイトルです。魅力的な日本語タイトルです。これを真似たみたいの他の作家の著書をたまに日本の本屋等で見かけることがあるほどです。
野崎孝さんによる日本語は本当に素晴らしい。日本語そのものにも魅力があり、作品が乗り移っている感じを覚えます。矢沢永吉にハマッた人が矢沢の語り口調を思わず真似てしまうことを聞いたことがあります。野崎孝訳の『ライ麦畑で捕まえて』にハマッた人は野崎孝の日本語を知らず知らず真似てしまうかもしれません。

その中身についてはここでは触れず、私がその作品を好きだということのみ書いておりますけれども、もしもこれを読んだことがなく、読みたい気持ちになった方がいらっしゃれば、書店や図書館にての一読をお勧めします。人間や社会のインチキくささが我慢できない、うぶで反抗的な若い方が読めば、あなたはしばらくホールデン・コールフィールド(作品の主人公)として生きていくことが出来ます。それはそれで魅力的だと思います。若い男性がそういう感じに振舞っていたら、「可愛い!」と人から思われるかもしれません。それによって、もしかしたら一部の女の子たちにモテるようになるかもしれません。

No comments:

Post a Comment