Jul 2, 2010

[What You Like to Do & What You Are Good At Doing] 好きなこと、得意なこと

I like singing at a karaoke room. I went there a few times with my family. Not being a rich family, we cannot really do that so often. Besides, I am living away from my family. My income right now is pretty low. Some of the utility fees will be in delay every month. Yet, I know this current work here is a great opportunity to develop my skills.

I miss karaoke. We haven't been there for years.

I recall when we went to a karaoke room and were singing one song after another. My favorite ones, by the way, are Michael Jackoson's "Thriller", "Heal the World", Madonna's "Cherish", "Rain", etc. My family says my singing is terrible. I didn't believe that.

I said, "You don't know how good I am when I sing."

They raised their voices, "Sorry dad, but you don't know how disturbing your voice is."

There was a karaoke machine that scored a point when your singing was finished. The possible maximum score was 100.

"It's strange." I thought. - I mean, this karaoke machine.

The more I love the song and sing it, the worse score I will get.

My partner said: "That song just doesn't fit your voice. How come you are trying to sing just girl's songs or high pitched songs like Michael Jackson? You have to pick another."

"Like what?" I said.

"Anything that goes with your low voice." She said.

So next I picked up a song that I didn't really like because I thought it might SOUND better. It was Elvis Presley.

I sang it but I didn't feel like I was singing. I was not happy with that.

But what my partner said to me was: "Yeah, this is much better!!"

My daughter even said: "Yeah, daddy, you are better now!!"

And I said: "Hey, what's wrong with that?!"

Next, I prepared a tape recorder to record my voice. I wanted to know how I would be singing with my most favorite MJ and Madonna's songs.

I sang and stopped recording. Then I listened to the recorded voice. Yeah, they were right. It was not good. I had to admit that.

I had thought I was cool when I was singing my favorite songs simply because that's what I love to do. But my voice sounded just like a guy groaning loudly during his sleep. I don't have a wide voice range and my voice is deep and low. I was not suited to those Michael Jackson's songs.

The following are what I could find through karaoke:

1. What you want to do and what you are good at doing are two different things.

2. Something you love to do might be just disturbing to others. They might be pleased when you do something you don't really like to do, or something you don't notice you are good at.


At the karaoke room, in this case, I was not cool when I was singing Michael Jackson or Madonna's songs, even though I loved those songs. On the contrary, I looked better when I sang Elvis Presley's songs. I even had more than 80 points. - I still love singing. I am wishing to have another opportunity to make it to a karaoke place with my family. I even want to try more songs and get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment